Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tools

Here are the tools I plan on using for the majority of my wood shaping:


That's a 4-way file rasp, a shaping tool, and a cheapo block plane. The block plane was originally going to be for the bamboo backing of the bow, but I have since been assured that the backing is likely not necessary, and bamboo would be a difficult thing to add for my first backing. If I decide it is needed, I will use linen or silk. Gave the shaping tool and the plane a bit of a trial run on the stick and both seem to work well. Cannot wait for the weekend to begin shaping.

On layout- When finding the centerline of my bow, I discovered a very slight curve at one end of the board. Luckily sam at poorfolkbows.com has some tips for taking care of that. The curve is gone by the time you get 15" from the end of the board. I'm hoping this is a good sign, but not really sure. My other option is to cut the board and make a shorter bow, but I don't want to do that.

If all else fails, I can always start again. This is, after all, a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment