Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Material Things

Welcome to my blog about building my first ever bow. I am doing a build-along that I found on poorfolkbows.com which I cannot recommend enough to someone who wants to build a bow. He's got a lot of great information.

Of course, me being me, I can't just make the same thing he is there, I need to modify it slightly to fit what I want. Keep checking here, and you'll see some of the changes I make.

The first step in all this getting material. I am using red oak, which I bought from Lowes. You can see pictures of it below. I'm still not 100% sure if the grain is going to be right for the bow, but I will find out quick enough. This stuff is cheap anyway, so I can always get another stick. It is 72" long, which is going to be about the length of the bow.

Ignore the dirty clothes
I have also ordered some string building material, which I will get pictures of when it comes in. I will still need to build a string jig, as well as a tillering jig(tree?).

No comments:

Post a Comment